Monday, January 23, 2012

How to Make Cracker Pie

November 21st, 2011. On this day my oldest brother Lee was found dead by my other brother, John. He had been dead for five days. Every thing changed. My Mom lives alone in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I refuse to let what happened to my brother happen to my Mother. So the two of us devised a plan. I will text her a picture every day. She will text me back, rating my picture. From 1-100. I will know she is okay and she will be kept up to date on daily life in St. Louis. It's a win-win. I will put my Mom's rating at the end of each post, as soon as she texts it to me.



This is my first picture. Cracker Pie. My Mom gave me this recipe. When I think of Cracker Pie, I think of my Mom. Here is the recipe.

Cracker Pie

3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
10 soda crackers (saltines) or 15 Ritz crackers- coarsely crumbled
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup whipping cream

Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff.

Combine crackers, walnuts and baking powder.

Fold into egg mixture along with vanilla.

Spread in a buttered 9 inch pie pan. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until dry. Cool and spread with sweetened whip cream. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Enjoy. A very old recipe.

Mom's Rating: 6

1 comment: